PHILGBC’S SIGNIFICANT ACCOMPLISHMENTS FOR 2016
The year 2016 has been a transformative and operative year where the PHILGBC achieved significant progress as a Green Building Council.
I. ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE WORLD GREEN BUILDING COUNCIL
In June, the Philippine Green Building Council was given the status of Established Member, the highest level of membership of the World Green Building Council. This means that as a Green Building Council, it is fully operational, running impactful programs and have shown stability and national positioning. It is the go-to organization regarding green building in the country. Being an Established Member also signifies that the Philippine Green Building Council is continually working towards bringing together the property sector in a single platform for cooperation.
II. SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Throughout the year, PHILGBC reinforced and established new relationships with academe, government, and various organizations. Being the go-to organization on green building, the council provided their technical expertise in the fora and conferences of the following organizations:
• “8th CE- Logic National Electronic Conference: Go Green – Sustainable Libraries and Learning Spaces in the 21st Centuries” by CE – Logic Inc.
• “Sustainable Enterprise Summit 2016” by Enderun Extension and JCI Manila;
• “3rd Annual Power and Electricity World Philippines and Solar Show Philippines 2016” by Terrapin;
• “Building Momentum in Leadership and Management for Professionals and Specialists in Millennial Libraries and Information of Century” by Davao Colleges and Universities Network
• “Socialized Housing Challenges” by Housing Solution Congress;
• “National Building and Property Management” by Philippine Association of Building Administrators;
• “Philippine Airport Summit: Green Airport” by Ezkom-Events;
• “Learning Synergy Summit” by Lopez Group HR Council;
• “Business Summit on Climate Change: Towards an Aligned Strategy on Climate Change” by the Climate Change Commission; and
• “The Maharlikans at the Forefront of Excellence Balangkasan 2016” by UAP – Manila Maharlikan Chapter
III. PARTNERSHIP WITH USAID B-LEADERS ON CAPACITY BUILDING IN MANDAUE CITY FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THEIR GREEN BUILDING ORDINANCE
The City of Mandaue partnered with PHILGBC in ensuring the effective implementation of their Green Building Ordinance. Mandaue adopted the BERDE Green Building Rating System for the provisions of green building certification, and as a guidance for green building within the city.
Through the Building Low Emission Alternatives to Develop Economic Resilience and Sustainability (B-LEADERS) Project of the US Agency for International Development (USAID), PHILGBC provided technical assistance in capacitating the internal and external stakeholder of the city.
Major outputs of the project are the:
– Green Building Toolkit, which is a user-friendly tool for the implementation of the Green Building Ordinance of Mandaue City.
– Investment Code, which outlines the incentives for green building projects in the City of Mandaue.
In supporting the continuous development of BERDE, PHILGBC established BERDE Pilot Program. In January 2016, PHILGBC had a signing of a Memorandum of Agreement on BERDE Pilot Project Assessment & Certification with Monocrete Construction Philippines, Inc. MCPI and PHILGBC agreed to collaborate in developing an appropriate BERDE GBRS for operations of an industrial facility for engineering products.
PHILGBC conducted various workshops with Monocrete to develop a rating scheme with parameters that are appropriate for their building type.
As of December, there are currently 21 leading and participating companies under the BERDE Program. PHILGBC has recently certified the Laguna Lake Development Authority Building as the first BERDE 3-Star Certified government office.
V. WORLD GREEN BUILDING COUNCIL EVENTS
The council strengthen its relationship with the GBC network. PHILGBC participated in four World Green Building Council’s events this year:
- The WGBC Asia-Pacific Regional Network Mid-Year Meeting that was held in Seoul, South Korea last April, where PHILGBC discussed with the member GBCs in the APN emerging issues on green building and administrative concerns in building stronger regional connections.
- The WGBC APN Year-End Meeting in Mumbai, India in October 2016 where the regional member councils gathered together, and discussed updates about each council. This year’s year end meeting focused mainly on WGBC updates, local implementation of WGBC Better Places for People Campaign, and plans for the improvement of local GBCs.
- The World Members Day in Stockholm, Sweden in October, where the representatives of the 74 country GBCs gathered to share ideas and establish strategies to reinforce their global movement in promoting green building, and to support local initiatives in sustainability.
- The WGBC Congress Day also held in Stockholm, Sweden last October which talked about the use the green certifications, indoors environment and health, sustainable real estate management and smart new technology to actively contribute in sustainable living.
VI. REGULAR MEMBERSHIP MEETING
The council maintained its strong relationship with its members and recognized their leadership through relevant programs and activities.
In June, the council held its Regular Membership Meeting which featured a presentation on the Philippine Green Building Code by Arch. Rey Gabitan, FUAP, chair of the Board of Consultants of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
During the meeting, the council also recognized their sustaining corporate members who are at the forefront in their campaigns:
Diamond Sustaining Member – The Net Group
Gold Sustaining Member – Republic Cement Services, Inc.
Silver Sustaining Members – Air and Odor Management, Inc., Autodesk,
Monocrete Construction Phils. Inc., World Home Depot, Megawide Construction, Kaskal Philippines
The Council also presented a Certificate of Recognition to The Net Group for their valuable support as Diamond sponsor of the National Secretariat and BERDE Secretariat since 2010 to present.
VII. GREEN BUILDING WORKSHOP FOR YOUNG PROFESSIONALS
The council also reached out and engaged the academe through the Green Building Workshop for Young Professionals in June. This workshop allowed the young professionals to share their insights on current sustainability practices, to know more about BERDE, and to know the council’s insight on the different career opportunities in green building.
VIII. POWER BREAKFAST – INSPIRING GREEN
The council initiated this series wherein PHILGBC engaged the owners and chief executives of their member groups to discuss emerging issues in their respective sectors. In July, the council held the Power Breakfast with the Property Developers, Owners and Brokers’ member group which was attended by – Italpinas, Arthaland, The Net Group, Aseana and KMC MAG. The group shared their insights on how they can help the council and how the Council can assist them in promoting green building in other parts of the country.
IX. 1st PHILGBC AWARDS ON LEADERSHIP IN GREEN BUILDING
The PHILGBC awards are designed to showcase and celebrate the achievements of movers in the building and construction industry in the country, and to highlight their green building leadership both locally and internationally. The goal of the PHILGBC Awards is not only to recognize the significant contribution of member companies in Green Building and Sustainability but also to inspire the local real estate industry that projects can be successful and profitable in both an economic and environmental sense. The local winners were the official nominees of the PHILGBC to the 2nd World Green Building Council-Asia Pacific Network’s (WorldGBC-APN) Leadership in Green Building Awards.
Winner for the Business Leadership in Sustainability is: Arthaland Corporation Winners: Commercial building – Zuellig Building by Bridgebury Realty Corporation Residential building – Primavera Residences by Italpinas Euroasian Design and Development Corporation.
X. BUILDING GREEN
As part of the council’s mandate to promote and educate the public on the latest information and technologies on green building, they conducted two Building Green (BG) events. The BG events are designed to share current trends in sustainability, showcase green technologies and to encourage the different sectors of the building industry to be part of the campaign.
The Building Green Product Spotlight held last July focused on available solutions from PHILGBC’s Sustaining Members that may help in designing, constructing, and operating green. The event allowed PHILGBC to feature its members in the Manufacturers and Suppliers sector group and shared their insights in promoting sustainability through the latest in green technologies and services in the market with the council’s members and the public.
The Building Green Conference which was held as part of the celebration of the World Green Building Week last September brought together over 130 fellow green builders from the academe, civil society, government, business professionals, and other stakeholders of the building and construction industry. The conference discussed about sustainability initiatives, government actions, the present issues and trends on green building, and international perspectives and insights on the current and future landscape of the green building industry.
The PHILGBC entered into a new partnership that would create a research study on green building in the country. The council signed a Memorandum of Agreement with Leechiu Property Consultants, Inc. and Aviso Valuation Services and Advisory to develop a green building study. The study will focus on a green building market development research to assess the current status of the uptake of green building in the industry. Proposed sections of the study include: Green Building Investment Outlook, Value of Green Buildings, and Green Building Health and Wellness Outcomes. PHILGBC will lead the effort in engaging its members and industry partners to participate in the project.
XI. GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING AND ELECTION
PHILGBC also held the annual General Membership Meeting where the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer of the Board each presented their reports regarding the council’s progress for 2016. During the meeting the council recognized its Silver Sustaining Corporate Members: Autodesk Pty. Ltd, Nitto Denko Philippines Corporation, and Stellar Equipment and Machinery.
The Annual Election was held wherein a new set of Board members were elected for the calendar year 2017-2018. The newly elected members of the Board are as follows:
- Mr. Ramon Rufino reelected for Property Developers, Owners, and Brokers;
- Mr. Jeroen Van Straten newly elected for Manufacturers and Suppliers; and
- Mr. Francisco Arellano for Contractors and Specialty Trade Contractors